St. Mary TechKnights First Lego League team for 5th-8th grade students meets every Tuesday from September – December. Membership fee is $20. Mrs. Chesnek and Mrs. Trentman are the team mentors. Throughout team meetings, the group works toward a common goal; solve a real-world challenge through research, problem solving, coding and engineering with an emphasis on teamwork, discovery and innovation. Our hope is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders and innovators, by engaging them in exciting mentor-based programs that build science, engineering, and technology skills, that inspire innovation, and that foster well-rounded life capabilities including self-confidence, communication, and leadership. Students emerge more confident, excited, and equipped with the skills they need in a changing workforce.
We express the FIRST philosophies of Gracious Professionalism and Coopertition through our Core Values:
- Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
- Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
- Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
- Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
- Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
- Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
A chance to shine! Each FIRST LEGO League season culminates with regional tournaments and championships where our team will show off what they learned and invented, and compete with their robots.